MBA and $100K of debt

First of all let me start my apologizing for not posting for so long. I was just busy (and lazy).

So now that my MBA is over... I get a letter from my bank saying I owe them $100K+ in loans. That comes out to about $1280 per month for 10 years with my interest rate. This is one of the many things I had never thought about before starting my MBA. When I started my MBA all I used to think about a six figure salary and how good my life will be because of the extra money.

Now, lets assume I get a six figure salary. This $1280 a month is a big big big hit for my bank account. Its about $15,500 a year. So you can drop your $100,000 salary to $84.5K right away. This is not a problem for folks who manage to get jobs in consulting and i-banking (no don't just assume you will be one of these guys. From my batch of 14-17 desis, only 2-3 ended up with such offers). For others, its an even bigger hit. You will be making something around 80-90K but your loan amount will be the same.

No, I am NOT saying don't pursue your dreams of becoming an MBA because of this. The point is that please make sure you incorporate this into your planning when thinking about an MBA.

What's the solution?

Well, firstly make sure you are making an informed decision. Secondly, enroll in schools that are giving you some kind of scholarship, even if they are lower ranked. Unless you are going to HSW... ranking doesn't matter a lot, but your loan does.

0 comments:

Post a Comment