My thoughts on MBA 6 months after graduation and a job in hand

A lot of my posts earlier had been about how useless an MBA is. I still have doubts on whether or not its worth $100k+ of debt, but I will say that its not totally useless.

In the past 6 months, I have spoken to a LOT of people at different companies as part of my job search. I consistently saw that MBAs were easier to net with. They understood that I was looking for jobs and got to the topic right away. It was a little difficult with engineers, they just did not get the concept of networking. Many were like, "Why don't you talk to the HR about this?" After a few calls I decided to just ask for a recommendation from them. Some said yes, some said no (which is fair because they didn't know me).

I felt that MBAs were better talkers, they could address their issues and concerns about my application in a more clear and professional manner. They were better networked at the company. MBAs really understood the business side of things. I had to explain ROI to a few engineers, man it was the worst experience ever.

I just want to say that I am NOT suggesting that engineers (I am one myself) are not smart, am just saying that MBAs are better positioned to handle the business side of things.

So overall, I will say that MBA has some value, and definitely a lot if you are on a scholarship and do not plan to start a business. If you want to start a business, do NOT get an MBA. Not that it won't help, its just that your time and money are better spent on your business.

Now as far as an MBA being worth $100k+ in debt.... I don't know the answer to that question... yet.

The key is know what you want from your MBA. Don't just take classes and get good grades to get a consulting job. Focus on *learning*.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

great posts
thanks

Post a Comment