I am employed!!

I am happy to write that I am employed (finally). I got a job offer from Next Jump in NYC. It is an online rewards/loyalty programs company.

So what got me this job offer?

1. Luck - Yes, I will be the first to admit luck played a big role. One day I was sitting with a few friends complaining about graduating without a job. A friend of mine, Vivek, suggested I attend the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in NYC. I was like alright why not. I attended the conference and met a few people there. One of my friends I met here recommended me to Next Jump and the rest is history. I should say that these friends I had made were not for networking purposes, which is why I am calling it luck. We just happened to be on the same volunteer team and ended up talking.

2. My Blog - I am a big fan of blogging. This blog (TCM) helped me get my summer internships. Both my employers said I got their attention because of this blog. Getting back to NxJ - After a few months of the NYC conference, I had an interview in SFO and wrote about it on my blog. One of my friends from the conference read the blog and told me she was in SFO as well. So next time I was in SFO we met and talked about my job search, and she recommended me to NxJ.

3. MBA - Yes, after all the crap I have written about MBA, it was helpful in getting this job (another post on MBA useful(less)ness soon). They were looking MBAs with a technical and entrepreneurial background. I fit the role pretty well. Their interview process was very different. It was on a Saturday from 10am - 7pm. I had one leadership presentation (individual), 3 interviews, a networking lunch, and a team presentation. There was a lot of public speaking involved. And I thank my professor Tim Flood for that awesome communications class. I aced my presentations, and interviews went well too.

So take aways from this experience - networking is important for off campus job search, do something different like blogging, good public speaking always helps, and pray for a little luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment