Why you should spend a few extra hours analyzing the class profile

Class profile is something we all look at when deciding which school to apply to. When I was in that boat a year ago, I mainly looked at GMAT, average work experience and acceptance rate (if given). My thought process would be something like, well I have the GMAT they want, but my work experience is a little low, but they have a high acceptance rate. That's 2/3, plus they are a top 20 school, so here comes my application.

This thought process was not the best one. In fact it is not good at all. The reason for this is that it only takes into account half of the equation. The MBA consists of 2 parts, getting in (your admission) and getting out (your recruitment). I analyzed the first part and left the 2nd one untouched. And now, I am dealing with the consequences.

Here are the things u should look at - average age, professional background, placement locations (specific to state). Average age is important because if a school's average age is 29, and u are 25, u will have a hard time finding a job. Most employers will want more experience and all jobs posting will be aimed towards older people. So, you would be left behind because you dont have enough experience. Now if you were in school where the avg age was 25, all recruiters come there with a mindset to hire young people and all jobs will be aimed towards you. think abt it!

the same goes to professional background, if your school mainly has students who are business ppl, and u r an engineer, you wont find many jobs that match your profile. Whereas, if you were in a school that mainly had engineers, all jobs would fit your profile. Get my point?

0 comments:

Post a Comment